David Bassous - Rabbi
Ray Morris - President
Visit our Website at http://etzahaim.org for the latest news
- Shachrit: 6:30am
- Shir Hashirim: 4:50pm
- Mincha and Arvit: 5:08pm
- Candle Lighting: 5:08pm
- Shabbat Day Parashat Beshalach*
Full Range of Children's Groups: 9:45am - 11:30am
- Boys 6 and up in the Library
- Girls 6 and up upstairs left classroom.
- Children 3 - 5 upstairs right classroom
- 8.00 am Parasha Class with Rabbi Ben Hakakian
- Shachrit: 8:45am
- Latest Shema: 8:57am
Special Tu BiShvat Kiddush:
- Sponsored by Isaac and Tiffy Naggar & Family in honor of his Father
- Rachel Weintraub in honor of David's Birthday
King Shlomo's Wisdom -- Rabbi Bassous: 3:55pm
- Mincha: 4:55pm
- Seuda Shelishit after Mincha
- Sponsored by Doron and Sari Shalmon & Family in memory of his father
- Arvit and Shabbat Ends: 6:08pm
- 8.00 am Class with Rabbi Ben Hakakian
- Shacharit: 8:30am
- Women's class: 10:00am: Happiness
- Shulchan Aruch Class: 4:40pm
- Mincha and Arvit: 5:10pm
Monday - Thursday
- Shacharit: 6:30am
- Shulchan Aruch Class: 7:00pm
- Arvit (Tuesday-Thursday): 7:30pm
Next Week - Friday
- Shacharit: 6:30am
- Shir Hashirim: 5:00pm
- Mincha: 5:17pm
- Candle lighting 5:17pm
- Parsha and Halacha: Shabbat and Sunday: 8:00am
- Nach: Shabbat: 3:45pm
- Woman's Class: Happiness: Sunday: 10:00am
- Mishna-a-Day: Monday to Friday: 7:20am
- Halacha-a-Day: Monday - Thursday: 7:00pm
- Bitachon: Mondays: 8:00pm
- Talmud Berachot: Tuesdays: 8:00pm - Chapter Two
- New Class Jewish Meditation starting on Feb 27
New Class - Jewish Meditation
Rabbi Bassous is starting a new class on February 27, 2017 called Jewish Meditation. The class will cover the history of meditation, prophecy, and Ruach Hakodesh. It will explain the why and how to meditate in a Jewish fashion and demonstrate a simple, but powerful meditation technique of the Ben Ish Chai.
Mondays at 8:00 pm at Congregation Etz Ahaim. Everyone is welcome and admission is free.
If you have an outstanding balance with Etz Ahaim, please send in your payment to help the Synagogue. Your help is appreciated.
If you are the last person to leave the building (except for Shabbat and Chaggim) make sure all the lights are out
If you are celebrating a simcha or want to remember a loved one, sponsor a kiddush is one of the best ways to mark the occasion. Please contact Yvonne at 908-227-5194. To sponsor a seuda or a Sunday morning breakfast, call the shul at 732-247-3839.
Bikur Cholim of Congregation Etz Ahaim
Our Congregation has its own Bikur Cholim Committee. If you know of a congregant who is in the hospital or a nursing home and would like a visit, please let us know. If there is a Home-bound congregant who is in need of a visit or assistance, we can help. We may also be able to make contact with a Jewish Agency which may be able to provide additional services. Please call Rose Reiss at 732-828-7415.
Nursing Home Visitation: Seeking volunteers to visit Mollie Reuben, Esther Tucker, Shirley Cohen, and others at the Regency nursing home on DeMott Lane in Somerset. For more info or an updated list of residents requesting visitors, please call Rahel Baruh at 732-672-4673 or email email@example.com
Transportation Committee: Drivers and coordinators needed. Coordinate rides to and from medical appointments - match requests with an available driver. Each coordinator serves for two weeks at a time. To volunteer to coordinate or to drive, please call Bikur Cholim hotline at 732-572-7181 or fill out the volunteer form on the website bikurcholimrv.com
The congregation extends get-well wishes to:
- Al Benzilio
- Soroh Rosen
- Viktorya Koen
- Avishai ben Esther
- Galina bat Riva
- Joey Cenci (Yoseph Michael ben Yael Rut)
- Linda Balavram (Emuna bat Sarah)
- Esther Tucker
- Nancy Reich
- Yehudah Reich
- Benny Mayo
- Mary Belsky
- Esther Arouh
- Lilas Saltiel
- Donna Bardy
- Mary Naar
- Lita Greenberg
- Bradley Greenberg
- Marcelo Schor
- Sarah bat Naava
- Perla bat Leah
Khal Chassidim Simply Tzfat kumtziz: In the week leading up to its Annual Malva Malka, Khal Chassidim is holding a special (free admission) kumtziz with our friends from Simply Tzfat on Sunday, February 26th at 7:30 at Rabbi Horowitz’s Shteible, Khal Chassidim on 46 North 8th Avenue. This Kumitziz is among the many gatherings – in song, study and community commemoration – held in tribute to Hinda bas Yaakov Peretz, Rabbi Horowitz’s precious wife a”h. We invite your community to ours in sweet song to remember a precious part of Khal Chassidim, who in the tradition of Chassidus, sought to bring comfort and support to everyone she met in the greater Highland Park community and beyond. There will be seating areas for men and women in the Shteible Beit Midrash. Our thanks to you for sharing these words and to Simply Tzfat for making their way to Highland Park/Edison for this special tribute to our Rebbetzin Hinda Horowitz a”h.
Khal Chassidim Tu B'shvat fruit tasting: This Friday night February 10th at 8:00 pm in honor of Tu B'shvat the 9th annual fruit tasting will be taking place at Rabbi Horowitz's Shteibel on 46 North Eighth Avenue. As in the past at least 30 fruits including exotic varieties will be served. This year we will be honored to have Rabbi Tzvi and Rebbetzin Chaya Shandel Mandel. They have been involved for years in outreach, and currently serve as Rav and Rebbetzin at congregation Khal Bnei Yisroel in Flatbush, NY. Rabbi Mandel served as Rabbi of the Carlebach shul in NYC after the passing of Harav Eliya Chaim Carlebach, Ztl and as Rav in Fire Island for 15 years and other positions in Upstate NY and NJ.
Women’s shiur: Park Mikvah and Irgun Shiurai Torah present a Shovavim Project Lecture for women by Mrs. Debbie Greenblatt on the topic of "A Journey Towards Intimacy, The Mystery and Practicality of Taharas Mishpacha" to take place Sunday, February 12, 2017 at Congregation Ohr Torah (social Hall) at 8:30 pm. For married women only. For more info, please email Parkmikvahevents@gmail.com. Mrs. Debbie Greenblatt has been involved in teaching and counseling Jewish women for over twenty-five years. Mrs. Greenblatt speaks on topics related to Jewish thought, personal relationships and textual based education. She is a founder of the Women’s Division of Gateways and gives classes in the New York metropolitan area as well as across the country.
Yeshivat Netivot Montessori presents 8th Day live in concert on Sunday, February 19, at 2:30 pm, at the Jo Ann Magistro Performing Arts Center, 200 Rues Lane, East Brunswick. I am very excited to inform you that we have a SPECIAL ONLINE SALE, this week only, $2 off all Orchestra seats when booking online at netivot.booktix.com. For groups of 10 or more, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 732-985-4626 ext. 4 to receive a 10% discount + waived booking fees. I look forward to seeing you there!
Rescheduled: David Greenfield, NYC Councilman, will speak on February 18, 8:30pm at Congregation Ahavas Achim on the topic, "What Jews Want in the New Political Order" The ACTT (Achieving Change Through Torah) program helps individuals succeed in making meaningful and lasting changes in their lives. Previous ACTT module: “Kiddush Hashem 1”; Source book: “Living Kiddush Hashem” by Rabbi Shraga Freedman. "A Powerful Segulah for Yom Hadin", speaker Rabbi Dovid Goldwasser, can be downloaded or listened to from the Audio page of the ACTT web site at: www.actt613.org/3.html. For more info, see the ACTT web-site, www.actt613.org, e-mail email@example.com or call Phil Rosen (732) 572-8762.
SemPlus evening shiur for post seminary girls: Please call the hotline to confirm at 732-966-6503.
Rebbitzen Eichenstein’s classes for women: Tefillah class on Sunday, Jan. 22 at 11:00 AM at the Aguda shule; Parsha class on Monday, Jan. 23 at 8:00 PM at Cong. Ohr Torah. For more info, please contact Aviva at 732-572-4408 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Achieving Change Through Torah
The ACTT (Achieving Change Through Torah) program helps individuals succeed in making meaningful and lasting changes in their lives.
- Previous ACTT module: Kiddush Hashem 1
- Source book: Living Kiddush Hashem by Rabbi Shraga Freedman.
- "A Powerful Segulah for Yom Hadin", speaker Rabbi Dovid Goldwasser, can be downloaded or listened to from the Audio page of the ACTT website. For more information go to the ACTT website, email ACTT or call Phil Rosen at 732-572-8762.
- Weekly teleconferences with topics such as shalom bayit and parenting are available to Tiferes members.
- Current teleconference: Connecting through Challenge
with Mrs. Chany Feldbrand. For more info, please contact Aviva email@example.com.
The Highland Park / Edison group of Tiferes is zecher l'nishmas Malka bas Shalom.
Highland Park Mikvah
The Highland Park mikvah is ready to be transformed into a most beautiful, inviting facility, one which the entire community can be proud of!
It is now closed. Anticipated reopening before Pesach 2017.
The Young Israel of East Brunswick will be extending their hours throughout the duration of Park Mikvah renovations: Saturday – Thursday: 8:00 – 11:00 PM. Please check their website for more info regarding fees, and for changes in schedule due to inclement weather. YIEB: 193 Dunhams Corner Road, East Brunswick, 732-257-4121 or
The YIEB mikvah strongly encourages women to prepare at home, due to the expected high volume of patrons.
- Pending volunteer availability, Park Mikvah will endeavor to provide transportation to or from the YIEB mikvah, as a free service. Please email Aviva at to volunteer as a driver, or 2 days prior to your visit, to request a ride to the mikvah.
- Fundraising campaign to finance the renovations has begun! Dedication opportunities are now available! To make a donation, checks can be mailed to Park Mikvah, 36 Skyview Terrace, Highland Park, NJ 08904 or payment by credit card or PayPal For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org or www.parkmikvah.org.
- Park Mikvah: Cooking demonstration with Miriam Pascal, founder of OvertimeCook.com, author of Something Sweet and Ami Whisk Magazine columnist on February 18th, 2017 at 8:15PM to benefit Park Mikvah. A milchig buffet will be served. The event will be held iyh at the home of Esther Posen, 12 Fairhill Road, Edison. The cost of the event is $36. Space is limited. For women only. To make a reservation, please email [Esther Posen]. For more info, please call Lynn Hanfling at: 732-777-0225. Looking forward to seeing you!
Change in date! Back by popular demand! Park Mikvah and Irgun Shiurai Torah present a Shovavim Project Lecture for women by Mrs. Debbie Greenblatt on the topic of A Journey Towards Intimacy, The Mystery and Practicality of Taharas Mishpacha to take place Sunday, February 12, 2017 at Congregation Ohr Torah (social Hall) at 8:30 pm. For married women only. For more information please email email@example.com. Mrs. Debbie Greenblatt has been involved in teaching and counseling Jewish women for over twenty-five years. Mrs. Greenblatt speaks on topics related to Jewish thought, personal relationships and textual based education. She is a founder of the Women’s Division of Gateways and gives classes in the New York metropolitan area as well as across the country.
We realize there are many requests for Tzedaka, all heart wrenching. However, the rules of Tzedaka are to first help your family, then help your community, then outside the community. Here is a campaign started by longtime members of our community, who are presently struggling with the serious issue of having a family member trying to recover in rehab. They need to raise about $6,000 a month and rehab can take about a year. Please go to their Chesed Fund Website and contribute. Open your hearts and help this local family keep their son in rehab. They have been generous in the past in supporting our community and never thought they would need to ask for themselves.
Bikur Cholim OWLS (Overnight Women Labor Support): A complimentary service for maternity situations whereby volunteers will come to stay with your kids during the night. For more info on receiving this service or becoming a volunteer, please contact Rikki at 732-249-5116. Thank you.
Donations of diapers, pull-ups, and wipes are currently being accepted for the new HP/Edison Diaper Gemach. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.