David Bassous - Rabbi
Ray Morris - President
Visit our Website at http://etzahaim.org for the latest news
- Shacharit 6:30am
- Shir Hashirim: 4:10pm
- Mincha: 4:20pm
- Candle lighting 4:20pm
Saturday - Parashat Vayetzei
Full Range of Children's Groups: 9:45am - 11:30am
- Boys 6 and up in the Library.
- Girls 6 and up upstairs left classroom.
- Boy’s tefila group meeting at 9:30am
- Children 3 - 5 upstairs right classroom.
- Parasha with Rabbi Ben Hakakian: 8:00am
- Shacharit: 8:45pm
- Latest Shema: 8:32am
- Kiddush after Shacharit
- To sponsor a Kiddush, go to our kiddush sponsorship webpage
- Tehillim group for women: 2:25pm
- Class with Rabbi Bassous: 3:10pm
- The Spanish Jewish Exile to Tzefat, Tiveryah and the Ottoman Empire.
- Mincha: 4:10pm
- Seuda Shelishit after Mincha
- Sponsored by Sponsored by Ze'ev Feldman in memory of his Grandfather's yarzeit.
- Arvit and Shabbat Ends: 5:20pm
- Shacharit: 8:30am
- New Women's Class: The Thirteen Principles of Faith: 10:00am
- Shulchan Aruch: 3:50pm
- Mincha and Arvit: 4:20pm
- Followed by a New Men's Class - Safrut training course (limited room)
- 7.00pm OFF THE BEATEN PATH with RABBI SHALOM HAMMER
- 8.00pm Women in Tanach
- Rav Kook's Orot Teshuvah class: 9.00pm
Monday - Thursday
- Shacharit: 6:30am
- Mishna a Day: 7:30am
- Shulchan Aruch: 7.00pm
- Arvit: 7:30pm
- Mondays: Jewish Meditation: 8:00pm
- Tuesdays Talmud: 8.00pm
Next Week – Friday
- Shacharit: 6:30am
- Mincha: 4:16pm
- Candle lighting 4:16pm
Upcoming Events on our Webpage
The following events are on our wepage under the events section. Keep up what's going on with Etz Ahaim and our community!
- November 19: Sofer Coming to Judaica Gallery to Check Tefillin and Mezuzot
- November 19: Safrut Training Course: Learn how to write mezuzot and megillot.
- November 19: Rabbi Shalom Hammer - Founder of Makom Meshutaf: Off The Beaten Path Turning our Teens on to Judaism
- November 28: Daughters of Etz Ahaim's Paid Up Membership Dinner: It's time to join the Sisterhood.
- December 16: Our Fourth Annual Simcha Kiddush: Need we say more?
- Jewish Sewing Circle for Quilters and Other Hand Crafters: Meet every Tuesday from 7:00pm to 9:00pm in the lower social hall of Congregation Etz Ahaim. Please bring your own project and associated supplies. All levels are welcome but please note this is not a class.
- Minyan Map and Shiur List updated. Download the latest listings from our website!
- If you have an outstanding balance with Etz Ahaim, please send in your payment to help the Synagogue. Your help is appreciated
If you are the last person to leave the building (except on Shabbat and Chaggim) make sure all the lights are out
If you are celebrating a simcha or want to remember a loved one, sponsoring a kiddush is one of the best ways to mark the occasion. To sponsor a Shabbat Kiddush, please go to our [Kiddush Sponsorship Page] on our website and fill out the on line form. We'll get in contact with you as soon as possible. To sponsor a seuda or a Sunday morning breakfast, call the shul at 732-247-3839.
Bikur Cholim of Congregation Etz Ahaim
Our Congregation has its own Bikur Cholim Committee. If you know of a congregant who is in the hospital or a nursing home and would like a visit, please let us know. If there is a Home-bound congregant who is in need of a visit or assistance, we can help. We may also be able to make contact with a Jewish Agency which may be able to provide additional services. Please call Rose Reiss at 732-828-7415.
Nursing Home Visitation: Seeking volunteers to visit Mollie Reuben, Shirley Cohen, and others at the Regency nursing home on DeMott Lane in Somerset. For more info or an updated list of residents requesting visitors, please email Rahel Baruh or call her at 732-672-4673
Transportation Committee: Drivers and coordinators needed. Coordinate rides to and from medical appointments - match requests with an available driver. Each coordinator serves for two weeks at a time. To volunteer to coordinate or to drive, please call Bikur Cholim hotline at 732-572-7181 or fill out the volunteer form.
The congregation extends get-well wishes to:
- Avishai ben Esther
- Linda Balavram (Emuna bat Sarah)
- Donna Bardy
- Mary Belsky
- Galina bat Riva
- Bradley Greenberg
- Lita Greenberg
- Millie Hakim (Miriam bat Sarah)
- Viktorya Koen
- Leora bat Matana
- Yvonne Levy (Rivka Miriam bat Gittel)
- Benny Mayo
- Mary Naar
- Clara bat Rachel
- Perla bat Leah
- Yehudah Reich
- Lilas Saltiel
- Marcelo Schor
- Abraham Wishinski
ACTT: The current source book is: Artscroll’s “Living Simchah: Finding the joy in everything” by Rabbi Hadar Margolin. The audio of Rabbi Weinberg’s insightful and inspiring “Serve Hashem with Joy: Can we work on being happier?” presentation is now available for listening or downloading from the Audio page of the ACTT website. For more info, e-mail ACCT or call Phil Rosen (732) 572-8762.
RJJ Ladies Luncheon presents: Close Community Get Together on Sunday,December 10 at CongregationOhr Torah at 12:00 noon. Honoree: Mrs. Shelly Presby. More details to follow. For more info, please call JJ at 732-985-6533.
Rebbitzen Eichenstein’s classes for women: No classes on Sunday, November 19 and Monday, November 20. For more info, please contact Aviva at 732-572-4408 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Women's Learning Initiative Parsha class by Mrs. Miri Cohen: Class on Tuesday, November 21 at 9:30am at the home of Leah Epshtein, 253 Lawrence Avenue, Highland Park. Please call Leah to confirm at 917-763-1848.
Women's Learning Initiative Shimiras Haloshon class by Mrs. Leah Drillman: Monday, November 21 at 7:30pm at 407 North 8th Avenue, Edison. For more info, please call Ellen at 201-410-1893 or 732-777-6787.
Tiferes: DVD for women Motzai Shabbos, November 18 at 9:00pm at the Siegel house. Weekly teleconferences with topics such as shalom bayis and parenting are available to Tiferes members.
Current teleconference: Between You and Me – The Torah’s Wisdom on Relationships. Speaker: Mrs. Rochel Goldbaum. For more info, please contact Aviva email@example.com.
The Highland Park / Edison group of Tiferes is zecher l'nishmas Malka bas Shalom.
The Women's AMEN Group meets monthly on the Sundays following the Shabbos in which one bensches Rosh Chodesh, at 9:30am in a downstairs classroom at Congregation Ohr Torah. The group meets in the zechus of a refuah shelaimah for Menachem Mordechai ben Ophira and the other Cholim in the community.
Bikur Cholim OWLS (Overnight Women Labor Support): A complimentary service for maternity situations whereby volunteers will come to stay with your kids during the night. For more info on receiving this service or becoming a volunteer, please contact Rikki at 732-249-5116. Thank you.
Donations of diapers, pull-ups, and wipes are currently being accepted for the new HP/Edison Diaper Gemach. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Rabbi Yisroel Weiss shiur, Living with Parsha, for men and women: Wednesday evenings at 8:30pm in the Khal Chassidim dining room, entrance through front door of house. For more info, please call Marsha at 732-777-1155.
The Edison/Highland Park gown Gemach, L'iluy Nishmas R' Yitzchok Ben Binyomin, is open for business! The Gemach houses a wide selection of gowns for children, pre-teen, teens and adults. Please note the Gemach is still looking for donation of gowns in very good condition. Tax deduction is given and pick up of the gowns can also be arranged. For more information and/or to schedule an appointment please call Sara Scott at 516-526-0941.
Collecting Sheitels: Keren Kol Kallah - established to provide orphan and destitute kallahs in Israel with essential needs. Donated custom sheitels, some brand-new, some gently worn, are sold to women in Israel who would not otherwise have the funds to buy a quality wig. All the money raised at the sale goes towards a hachnasas kallah fund which helps needy brides in Eretz Yisrael. Sheitels can be dropped off by Aviva, 16 Edgemount Road, Edison. For more info, please see contact Aviva Siegel or call (732) 572-4408.
The Eruv committee checks the eruv every week. However, if the eruv is down, and you didn’t check the status before Shabbat, the averah of carrying on Shabbat is on you. It’s extremely important to know the status of the eruv before Shabbat start!
Fortunately, we now have six official ways of alerting you to the eruv’s status. It’s very important for you to be aware and find out the status of the eruv every week before Shabbat and Chaggim.
You can get alerts of the eruvs statuses on Twitter, Text Messages, Facebook, or Email. You can find out about the eruvs' statuses on the webpage or by calling the hotline.
Park Mikvah is now providing towels and robes.
Please support the mikvah while purchasing on Amazon. Use Amazon Smiles and a portion of all sales will go to the Park Mikvah.
- Sunday - Thursday 8:00pm to 10:30pm
- Friday Nights: By appointment only
- Motzai Shabbat: November - January: 7:30 – 10:00 PM
We appreciate your patience and financial support. Please continue to check our website and hotline at 732-249-2411 for updates
Have you participated in this incredible mitzvah campaign yet? Please go to http://www.parkmikvah.org/donate to help raise the remaining funds!
- Volunteers: To visit a male patient at the AristaCare facility in South Plainfield. It is a 10 minute drive from our community. Also looking for a male to sit, schmooze and learn with a male patient at AristaCare. Family is willing to pay. For more information please contact Nitza Adler (732)819-9294
- New Hospitality Room at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital: It is located on the main floor. Go through the main entrance and bear left towards the gift shop. Turn right through the double doors. Follow hall and turn right. The room is located opposite the surgical intensive care unit. You will find it fully stocked with food and any items that you might need. There is a microwave, urn, sink, table & chairs, as well as two reclining chairs. For inquiries, please call the helpline at 732-572-7181.
- Mother’s Helpers: Bikur Cholim is looking for Mother's Helpers to help with a special need's five year old girl. Volunteers are needed for any time, Monday through Friday. We are looking for girls tenth grade and up. If you can help, even for a few hours, please call Mrs. Rivka Teresh directly at 347-598-9448.
- Homebound Visitation: Seeking adults and 11th graders and older who would be interested in volunteering to visit homebound people in our community. For more info, please call Bikur Cholim at 732-572-7181.
- Nursing Home Visitation: Seeking volunteers to visit at the Regency nursing home on DeMott Lane in Somerset. For more info, please contact Rahel Baruh or call her at 732-672-4673.
- Transportation Committee: Drivers and coordinators needed. Coordinate rides to and from medical appointments - match requesters with an available driver. Each coordinator serves for two weeks at a time. To volunteer to coordinate or to drive, please call Bikur Cholim hotline at 732-572-7181 or fill out the volunteer form on the website