David Bassous - Rabbi
Ray Morris - President
Visit our Website at http://etzahaim.org for the latest news
- Shacharit: 6:30am
- Mincha: 5:38pm
- Candle lighting: 5:38pm
Saturday - Parashat Pekudei
> Full Range of Children's Groups: 9:45am - 11:30am
Boys 6 and up in the Library.
Girls 6 and up upstairs left classroom.
Boy's tefilla group meeting at 9:30am
Children 3 - 5 upstairs right classroom.
Rabbi Hakakian's Parasha Class: 8:00am
- Shacharit: 8:45am
- Latest Shema: 8:46am
- Kiddush Sponsored by the Congregation
- To sponsor a kiddush, go to our Kiddush webpage.
- Zera Shimshon: 3:25pm with Rabbi Weintraub
- Women's Tehillim Class: 3:25pm
- The Purim Story and Parallels Today - Part II with Rabbi Bassous: 4:25pm
- Mincha: 5:25pm
- Seuda Shelishit
- Sponsored in Memory of the Founders of Etz Ahaim
- Class: The 39 Melachot Shabbat - Part II
- Arvit: 6:38pm
- Shabbat Ends: 6:38pm
- Shacharit: 8:30am
- Women's Class: Pirke Avot: 10:00am
- Shulchan Aruch: 5:10pm
- Mincha and Arvit: 6:40pm
- Nefesh HaChaim Class: 7:20pm
Monday - Thursday
- Shacharit: 6:30am
- Mishna-a-Day: 7:20am
- Shulchan Aruch: 6:10pm
- Mincha and Arvit: 6:40pm
- Tuesday: Talmud for Men: Berachot: 8:00pm
- Shacharit: 6:30am
- Mincha: 6:45pm
- Candle lighting: 6:45pm
News and Events From our Webpage
- Help Us Welcome New Members to Our Community - HP/Edison Connection welcomes new members to our community. Our laison is looking for people to host new community members for Shabbat dinner. Please sign up to help out.
- Help Us Replace Our Women's Seating in Our Sanctuary
- Congregation Ohev Emeth's Annual Purim Costume Gemach
- March 16: Movie: 93 Queen -- Rachel "Ruchie" Freier is creating the first all female abulence squad in her chassidic neighborhood.
- March 17: The Annual Bikur Cholim Brunch -- Make your reservation on line now!
- March 20: Our Annual Purim Celebration
- March 24: Community Shaimot Collection -- $20 per large garbage bag at Congregation Ohr Torah
- March 31: Yeshivot Netivot Gala Dinner -- Honoring two of our members: Adi and Dovi Yarmush for the Leadership Award
- May 21: Join Rabbi Basous for This Year's NORPAC Mission to Washington
- If you have an outstanding balance with Etz Ahaim, please send in your payment to help the Synagogue. Your help is appreciated.
- If you are the last person to leave the building (except on Shabbat and Chaggim) make sure all the lights are out.
- If you are celebrating a simcha or want to remember a loved one, sponsoring a kiddush is one of the best ways to mark the occasion. To sponsor a Shabbat Kiddush, please go to our Kiddush Sponsorship Page on our website and fill out the on line form.
- To sponsor a seuda or a Sunday morning breakfast, call the shul at 732-247-3839.
Bikur Cholim of Congregation Etz Ahaim
- Contact Rose Reiss at (732) 828-7415 in order to volunteer.
- Seeking volunteers to visit: Shirley Cohena and others at the Regency Nursing home on DeMott Lane in Somerset. For more info, contact Rahel Baruh.
- Drivers and coordinators needed. Call (732) 572-7181 for more information.
The congregation extends get-well wishes to:
- Avishai ben Esther
- Avraham ben Sarah
- Linda Balavram (Emuna bat Sarah)
- Clara bat Rachel
- Cochavit bat Victoria
- David ben Farha
- Esther bat Liba
- Galina bat Riva
- Gittel bat Leah
- Bradley Greenberg (Yehuda Dovid ben Tzvia Sarah)
- Liba Shaindel bat Chava
- Lidia bat Paulina
- Lita Greenberg (Tzvia Sarah bat Golda)
- Millie Hakim (Miriam bat Sarah)
- Miriam Devorah bat Bracha
- Benny Mayo (Bentzion ben Avraham)
- Mary Naar (Miriam bat Yitzchak)
- Penina Rachel bat Bracha
- Perla bat Leah
- Shaul ben Regina
- Yehuda Reich (Yehuda ben Hermina)
- Lilas Saltiel (Leah Saltiel)
- Sheva bat Merel
- Zimbul bat Vida
Highland Park/Edison Connects debuts its free weekly Wednesday Lunch and Learn program. Every Wednesday join other women in our community for words of inspiration and chizuk over a dairy buffet lunch.
March 13th, the 5th Tammy Karmel video series on Emunah will be shown from 12:45PM - 1:45PM at the Redlich home; 437 Harrison Ave, Highland Park. This week's program is sponsored by Sue & Alan Redlich in loving memory of Alan’s Father, Reuvan Ben Shlomo.
Tammy Karmel presents Yom Tov Treasures! Tammy is a young mother from Yerushalayim who is living with the debilitating disease of ALS. In her inimitable style of wit and wisdom, Tammy will give you the tools to grow from your challenges and find the great potential within you. Videos will be shown at the home of Sharon Glinn, 162 North Eighth Avenue, Highland Park at 8:45 pm.
- Sunday March 17 - PURIM: Discovering the Ecstasy of Giving
- Sunday March 31 PESACH: The Liberating Power of Toil.
Suggested donation: $10. All donations go to Tammy’s fund. For women only.
For more information, please contact Zehava at 917-583-2756. For general info, contact Tammy
The ACTT (Achieving Change Through Torah) program helps individuals succeed in making meaningful and lasting changes in their lives.
- Module: Ahavas Chessed -- Loving Kindness (Module 5)
- Source book:
- The Glittering World of Chessed by Rabbi Paysach Krohn
- Speaker Rabbi Yizchock Fingerer, Rabbi at Aish HaTorah in New York
March 24 at 8:00pm at Congregation Ohr Torah: Speaker Rabbi Yitzchok Finders "How the Enormous Power of Ahavas Chesed Transforms You and Others"
Rebbitzen Eichenstein’s classes for women:
- Pirkei Avos class on Sunday, March 10 at 11:00 AM at the Aguda
- Parsha class on Monday, March 11 at 8:00 PM at Cong. Ohr Torah
- For more info, please call/text Aviva at 732-672-7104 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Kinder Fund in memory of Dina Eisner, a"h, is selling Purim Mishloach Manos cards for $2.00 each. The cards are perfect to send to all friends & relatives. All proceeds from the sale enable The Kinder Fund to help subsidize needed services for many local children. To obtain cards, contact Tova Josefovitz at 732-572-9432, Shoshana Diskind at 732-572-7755, Lani Eisner at 732-572-1087 or Janice Lustiger at 732-819-4919 or email your request to email@example.com.
Women's Learning Initiative:
- Offers customized Torah learning partners / chavrusas! For a personalized study program of your choice, email your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Parsha class by Mrs. Miri Cohen: Tuesday, March 12 at 9:30am at the home of Leah Epshtein, 253 Lawrence Avenue, Highland Park. Babysitting is now available at the shiur; call / text Leah at 917-763-1848 to reserve.
- Shimiras Haloshon class Monday, March 11 at 7:30pm by Mrs. Leah Drillman at the home of Ellen Smith, 407 North 8th Avenue, Edison NJ For more information, please call Ellen at 201-410-1893 or 732-777-6787.
Tiferes: DVD for women Motzai Shabbos, March 23 at 9:00pm at the Siegel house.
Weekly teleconferences with topics such as shalom bayis and parenting are available to Tiferes members.
For more info or to become a member, please contact Aviva Siegel.
The Highland Park / Edison group of Tiferes is zecher l'nishmas Malka bas Shalom.
Rabbi Weiss' shiur on Tehillim: for men and women on Wednesday nights at 7:30 PM, at Eiserman home, 154 N. 10th Ave., Highland Park. For more info, please call 347-203-7906.
- Hours: Sunday - Thursday hours are 8:00 PM – 10:30pm.
- Friday night or out of hours appointment via the website.
- Motzi Shabbat: 7:30pm - 10:00pm.
- Motzi Shabbat in March: 9:00pm - 11:00pm.
- NOTE: No out of hours fee is charged if appointments are made between nightfall and opening time
- For the mailing list for mikvah updates and hours subscribe on the website.
The Women's AMEN Group meets monthly on the Sundays following the Shabbos in which one bensches Rosh Chodesh, at 9:30 AM in a downstairs classroom at Congregation Ohr Torah. The group meets in the zechus of a refuah shelaimah for Menachem Mordechai ben Ophira and the other Cholim in the community.
Bikur Cholim OWLS (Overnight Women Labor Support): A complimentary service for maternity situations whereby volunteers will come to stay with your kids during the night. For more info on receiving this service or becoming a volunteer, please contact Rikki at 732-249-5116. Thank you.
Donations of diapers, pull-ups, and wipes are currently being accepted for the new HP/Edison Diaper Gemach. Please email email@example.com for more information.
Appeal from an OE Member Family: Update - Thank you to all who have contributed to raise funds for a community member to attend a rehab program. This person has completed the first and most expensive part of the program, and is, thank G-d, doing well. Even with the generous donations shared by community members, the family was forced to borrow thousands of dollars each month to pay $6,000 monthly for the program. They are struggling with significant accumulated debt, and our help is still needed. Please help this local family recover from extreme financial burden. They have generously supported our community in the past and never though they would need to ask for themselves. Please visit https://thechesedfund.com/cause/please-help-us-afford-rehab-to-save-our-son to donate by credit card or if you wish to make out a check instead of contributing online, please make it out to Congregation Ohav Emeth and in the memo write Rabbi’s Charity Fund. On a separate note (NOT IN MEMO), write that it is for the rehab campaign.
ERUV: The Highland Park Eruv has a webpage which includes a map and the most recent status of the eruv. You can even use the webpage to find out if someone’s house is inside the eruv. You can get automated notifications of the eruv’s status each Friday via Twitter, text, Facebook, or email. Go to http://hperuv.org/status for more information.
Gemachs Abound in Highland Park: A Gemach is sometimes thought of a free loan organization, but these organizations can lend way more than just money. For example, if you have a large simcha at your house and need tables, center pieces, and tablecloths, a gemach can help you out. Etz Ahaim has a complete listing of all local area gemachs.