David Bassous - Rabbi
Ray Morris - President
Visit our Website at http://etzahaim.org for the latest news
- Shacharit: 6:30am
- Mincha: 5:14pm
- Candle lighting: 5:14pm
Saturday - Parashat Tetzaveh
Full Range of Children's Groups: 9:45am - 11:30am
- Boys 6 and up in the Library.
- Girls 6 and up upstairs left classroom.
- Boy's tefilla group meeting at 9:30am
- Children 3 - 5 upstairs right classroom.
- Rabbi Hakakian's Parasha Class: 8:00am
- Shacharit: 8:45am
Latest Shema: 8:58am
Kiddush Sponsorship by Uri and Rachel Yarmush in honor of his birthday Haftorah
- To sponsor a kiddush, go to our Kiddush webpage.
- Zera Shimshon: 3:00pm with Rabbi Hakakian
- Women's Tehillim Class: 3:00pm
- Why a Uniform for Kohanim? with Rabbi Bassous: 4:00pm
- Mincha: 5:00pm
- Seuda Shelishit
- Sponsored by Dr. Richard and Liba Shakarchi and Family
In Honor of Ayelet's Birthdays
- Class: Fulfilling the mitzvah of Kiddush properly
- Sponsored by Dr. Richard and Liba Shakarchi and Family In Honor of Ayelet's Birthdays
- Arvit: 6:14pm
- Shabbat Ends: 6:14pm
- Shacharit: 8:30am
- Women's Class: Pirke Avot: Happiness: 10:00am
- Mincha and Arvit: 5:15pm
- Nefesh HaChaim Class: 6:00pm
Monday - Presidents Day
- Shacharit: 8:00am
- Mishna-a-Day: 8:45am
- Mincha and Arvit: 5:15pm
Tuesday - Thursday
- Shacharit: 6:30am
- Mishna-a-Day: 7:20am
- Mincha and Arvit: 5:15pm
- Tuesday: Talmud for Men: Berachot: 8:00pm
- Wednesday: Crash Course in Taharat HaMishpacha for Men: 8:00pm
- Shacharit: 6:30am
- Mincha: 5:22pm
- Candle lighting: 5:22pm
News and Events From our Webpage
- Help Us Welcome New Members to Our Community - HP/Edison Connection welcomes new members to our community. Our laison is looking for people to host new community members for Shabbat dinner. Please sign up to help out.
- Two New Kosher Restaurants Opening in Highland Park -- China Lee -- from our friends at Lin's Kosher Chinese in Manville, and Bridge Turkish and Mediternean Grill.
- Congregation Ohev Emeth's Annual Purim Costume Gemach
- Help Support Etz Ahaim Sisterhood with Grocery Script -- It's like printing money. You buy script for Shoprite or Stop and Shop at face value, and the siterhood gets 5% of the proceeds.
- February 20: Hilchot Niddah Course for Men
- February 23: Park Mikvah Melave Malka for Women -- Full details on our website.
- March 1: Chai Lifeline Shabbaton -- Around 25 Girls with life threatening illnesses will be attending. You can help.
- March 17: The Annual Bikur Cholim Breakfast
- March 31: Yeshivot Netivot Gala Dinner
- If you have an outstanding balance with Etz Ahaim, please send in your payment to help the Synagogue. Your help is appreciated.
- If you are the last person to leave the building (except on Shabbat and Chaggim) make sure all the lights are out.
- If you are celebrating a simcha or want to remember a loved one, sponsoring a kiddush is one of the best ways to mark the occasion. To sponsor a Shabbat Kiddush, please go to our [Kiddush Sponsorship Page] on our website and fill out the on line form. We'll get in contact with you as soon as possible. To sponsor a seuda or a Sunday morning breakfast, call the shul at 732-247-3839.
Bikur Cholim of Congregation Etz Ahaim
- Contact Rose Reiss at (732) 828-7415 in order to volunteer.
- Seeking volunteers to visit: Shirley Cohena and others at the Regency Nursing home on DeMott Lane in Somerset. For more info, contact Rahel Baruh.
- Drivers and coordinators needed. Call (732) 572-7181 for more information.
The congregation extends get-well wishes to:
- Avishai ben Esther
- Avraham ben Sarah
- Linda Balavram (Emuna bat Sarah)
- Clara bat Rachel
- Cochavit bat Victoria
- David ben Farha
- Esther bat Liba
- Galina bat Riva
- Gittel bat Leah
- Bradley Greenberg (Yehuda Dovid ben Tzvia Sarah)
- Liba Shaindel bat Chava
- Lidia bat Paulina
- Lita Greenberg (Tzvia Sarah bat Golda)
- Millie Hakim (Miriam bat Sarah)
- Miriam Devorah bat Bracha
- Benny Mayo (Bentzion ben Avraham)
- Mary Naar (Miriam bat Yitzchak)
- Penina Rachel bat Bracha
- Perla bat Leah
- Shaul ben Regina
- Yehuda Reich (Yehuda ben Hermina)
- Lilas Saltiel (Leah Saltiel)
- Sheva bat Merel
- Zimbul bat Vida
Tammy Karmel presents Yom Tov Treasures! Tammy is a young mother from Yerushalayim who is living with the debilitating disease of ALS. In her inimitable style of wit and wisdom, Tammy will give you the tools to grow from your challenges and find the great potential within you. Videos will be shown at the home of Sharon Glinn, 162 North Eighth Avenue, Highland Park at 8:45 pm.
- Sunday, February 17 - SHEKALIM: The Triumphant Life of an Eved Hashem
- Sunday March 17 - PURIM: Discovering the Ecstasy of Giving
- Sunday March 31 PESACH: The Liberating Power of Toil.
Suggested donation: $10. All donations go to Tammy’s fund. For women only.
For more information, please contact Zehava at 917-583-2756. For general info, contact Tammy
The ACTT (Achieving Change Through Torah) program helps individuals succeed in making meaningful and lasting changes in their lives.
- Module: Ahavas Chessed -- Loving Kindness (Module 5)
- Source book:
- The Glittering World of Chessed by Rabbi Paysach Krohn
- Speaker Rabbi Yizchock Fingerer, Rabbi at Aish HaTorah in New York
SAVE THE DATE: Sunday March 3, 2019 at 7:30pm will be a community event More information to follow
Rebbitzen Eichenstein’s classes for women:
- Pirkei Avot Class on Sunday 17, at 11:00am at the Agudah
For more information, please call or text Aviva at 732-672-7104 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Women's Learning Initiative:
- Offers customized Torah learning partners / chavrusas! For a personalized study program of your choice, email your contact information to email@example.com
- Parsha class by Mrs. Miri Cohen: Tuesday, February 12 at 9:30am at the home of Leah Epshtein, 253 Lawrence Avenue, Highland Park. Babysitting is now available at the shiur; call / text Leah at 917-763-1848 to reserve.
- Shimiras Haloshon class Monday, February 11 at 7:30pm by Mrs. Leah Drillman at the home of Ellen Smith, 407 North 8th Avenue, Edison NJ
For more information, please call Ellen at 201-410-1893 or 732-777-6787.
Tiferes: DVD for women Motzai Shabbos, March 16 at 9:00pm at the Siegel house.
Weekly teleconferences with topics such as shalom bayis and parenting are available to Tiferes members.
For more info or to become a member, please contact Aviva Siegel.
The Highland Park / Edison group of Tiferes is zecher l'nishmas Malka bas Shalom.
Rabbi Weiss' shiur on Tehillim: for men and women on Wednesday nights at 7:30 PM, at Eiserman home, 154 N. 10th Ave., Highland Park. For more info, please call 347-203-7906.
- Hours: Sunday - Thursday hours are 8:00 PM – 10:30pm.
- Friday night by appointment only by leaving a message at 732-249-2411 or via the website or call/text 732-221-8155.
- Motzi Shabbat: 7:30pm - 10:00pm.
- NOTE: No out of hours fee is charged if appointments are made between nightfall and opening time
The Women's AMEN Group meets monthly on the Sundays following the Shabbos in which one bensches Rosh Chodesh, at 9:30 AM in a downstairs classroom at Congregation Ohr Torah. The group meets in the zechus of a refuah shelaimah for Menachem Mordechai ben Ophira and the other Cholim in the community.
Bikur Cholim OWLS (Overnight Women Labor Support): A complimentary service for maternity situations whereby volunteers will come to stay with your kids during the night. For more info on receiving this service or becoming a volunteer, please contact Rikki at 732-249-5116. Thank you.
Donations of diapers, pull-ups, and wipes are currently being accepted for the new HP/Edison Diaper Gemach. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Appeal from an OE Member Family: Update - Thank you to all who have contributed to raise funds for a community member to attend a rehab program. This person has completed the first and most expensive part of the program, and is, thank G-d, doing well. Even with the generous donations shared by community members, the family was forced to borrow thousands of dollars each month to pay $6,000 monthly for the program. They are struggling with significant accumulated debt, and our help is still needed. Please help this local family recover from extreme financial burden. They have generously supported our community in the past and never though they would need to ask for themselves. Please visit https://thechesedfund.com/cause/please-help-us-afford-rehab-to-save-our-son to donate by credit card or if you wish to make out a check instead of contributing online, please make it out to Congregation Ohav Emeth and in the memo write Rabbi’s Charity Fund. On a separate note (NOT IN MEMO), write that it is for the rehab campaign.
ERUV: The Highland Park Eruv has a webpage which includes a map and the most recent status of the eruv. You can even use the webpage to find out if someone’s house is inside the eruv. You can get automated notifications of the eruv’s status each Friday via Twitter, text, Facebook, or email. Go to http://hperuv.org/status for more information.
Gemachs Abound in Highland Park: A Gemach is sometimes thought of a free loan organization, but these organizations can lend way more than just money. For example, if you have a large simcha at your house and need tables, center pieces, and tablecloths, a gemach can help you out. Etz Ahaim has a complete listing of all local area gemachs.