David Bassous - Rabbi
Ray Morris - President
Visit our Website at http://etzahaim.org for the latest news
- Shacharit: 6:30am
- Mincha: 4:48pm
- Candle lighting: 4:48pm
Saturday - Parashat Yitro
Full Range of Children's Groups: 9:45am - 11:30am
- Boys 6 and up in the Library.
- Girls 6 and up upstairs left classroom.
- Boy's tefilla group meeting at 9:30am
- Children 3 - 5 upstairs right classroom.
- Rabbi Hakakian's Parasha Class: 8:00am
- Shacharit: 8:45am
- Latest Shema: 9:12am
- Kiddush will celebrate Shabbat Chatan of our Rabbinic Intern,
Elon Weintraub who married Leah Ahavah. It is sponsored
by David and Rachel Weintraub and Family. All are invited.
- To sponsor a kiddush, go to our Kiddush webpage.
- Zera Shimshon: 2:40pm with Rabbi Hakakian
- Women's Tehillim Class: 2:40pm
- The Most Life-Altering Event in Human History with Rabbi Bassous: 3:40pm
- Mincha: 4:40pm
- Seuda Shelishit sponsored by Dr. Richard and Liba Shakarchi & Family in honor of Yisrael's birthday
- Co-sponsored by Albert Levy Mitzner and Leora Mitzner
in memory of Albert’s stepfather, Zisha Velvel Ben Dov Ber, zt’l.
- Class Do Not Be Jealous
- Arvit: 5:48pm
- Shabbat Ends: 5:48pm
- Shacharit: 8:30am
- Women's Class: Pirke Avot: Happiness: 10:00am
- Mincha and Arvit: 4:50pm
- New Class: Rav Chaim Velozhin's Derech Hashem: 5:30pm
Monday - Thursday
- Shacharit: 6:30am
- Mishna-a-Day: 7:20am
- Mincha and Arvit: 4:50pm
- Tuesday: Talmud for Men: Berachot: 8:00pm
- Shacharit: 6:30am
- Mincha: 4:57pm
- Candle lighting: 4:57pm
News and Events From our Webpage
- Help Us Welcome New Members to Our Community - HP/Edison Connection welcomes new members to our community. Our laison is looking for people to host new community members for Shabbat dinner. Please sign up to help out.
- New Class -- Nefesh Hachaim -- Sunday at 5:00pm
- February 23: Park Mikvah Melave Malka for Women -- Full details on our website.
- March 1: Chai Lifeline Shabbaton -- Around 25 Girls with life threatening illnesses will be attending. You can help.
- March 17: The Annual Bikur Cholim Breakfast
- If you have an outstanding balance with Etz Ahaim, please send in your payment to help the Synagogue. Your help is appreciated.
- If you are the last person to leave the building (except on Shabbat and Chaggim) make sure all the lights are out.
- If you are celebrating a simcha or want to remember a loved one, sponsoring a kiddush is one of the best ways to mark the occasion. To sponsor a Shabbat Kiddush, please go to our [Kiddush Sponsorship Page] on our website and fill out the on line form. We'll get in contact with you as soon as possible. To sponsor a seuda or a Sunday morning breakfast, call the shul at 732-247-3839.
Bikur Cholim of Congregation Etz Ahaim
- Contact Rose Reiss at (732) 828-7415 in order to volunteer.
- Seeking volunteers to visit: Shirley Cohena and others at the Regency Nursing home on DeMott Lane in Somerset. For more info, contact Rahel Baruh.
- Drivers and coordinators needed. Call (732) 572-7181 for more information.
The congregation extends get-well wishes to:
- Avishai ben Esther
- Avraham ben Sarah
- Linda Balavram (Emuna bat Sarah)
- Clara bat Rachel
- David ben Farha
- Esther bat Liba
- Galina bat Riva
- Gittel bat Leah
- Bradley Greenberg (Yehuda Dovid ben Tzvia Sarah)
- Liba Shaindel bat Chava
- Lidia bat Paulina
- Lita Greenberg (Tzvia Sarah bat Golda)
- Millie Hakim (Miriam bat Sarah)
- Miriam Devorah bat Bracha
- Benny Mayo (Bentzion ben Avraham)
- Mary Naar (Miriam bat Yitzchak)
- Penina Rachel bat Bracha
- Perla bat Leah
- Yehuda Reich (Yehuda ben Hermina)
- Lilas Saltiel (Leah Saltiel)
- Sheva bat Merel
- Zimbul bat Vida
The ACTT (Achieving Change Through Torah) program helps individuals succeed in making meaningful and lasting changes in their lives.
- Module: Hakaras HaTov - Gratitude 4;
- Source book:
- The Garden of Miracles - Say Thank You and See Miracles by Rabbi Shalom Arush.
- HaKaras HaTov; Unlocking One's Inner Greatness
- Speaker Rabbi Rabbi Eliyahu Kaufman
Shovavim presents a shiur for married women to be given by Reb. Peshi Neuberger Feburary 6 at 8:00pm at Congregation Ohr Torah. Please submit questions by email submit questions to be addressed. For more info, email Lynn Hanfling.
Rabbi Eli Reisman will be speaking on Hilchos Coffee Friday night, February 1st, 8:30pm at Khal Chassidim, 46 North 8th Avenue. Topics include: Does it have the din of water, Brocha rishona, Buying in a non-kosher restaurant, Before davening, Chamar medina, and Preparing on Shabbat.
Both Men and Women are welcomed
For more information contact Marsha Eiserman at 347-203-7906.
Rebbitzen Eichenstein’s classes for women:
- No Class January 27
- No Class January 28
For more information, please call or text Aviva at 732-672-7104 or email her at email@example.com.
Women's Learning Initiative:
- Offers customized Torah learning partners / chavrusas! For a personalized study program of your choice, email your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please call/text Leah at 917-763-1848 for status of Mrs. Miri Cohen’s Parsha class on Tuesday, January 29.
- Shimiras Haloshon class January 28 at 7:30pm by Mrs. Leah Drillman at the home of Janet Rivenson, 19 Price Drive, Edison NJ. For more information, please call Ellen at 201-410-1893 or 732-777-6787.
Tiferes: DVD for women Motzai Shabbos, February 9 at 8:30pm at the Siegel house.
Speakers: Rabbi Avi Weisenfeld and Mrs. Miryam Swerdlov
Topic: Are you Pumped? Do you have to be?
Weekly teleconferences with topics such as shalom bayis and parenting are available to Tiferes members. Current teleconference: Parents and Children – 3 Pillars of a Great Relationship with Mrs Rochel Benstein.
For more info or to become a member, please contact Aviva Siegel.
The Highland Park / Edison group of Tiferes is zecher l'nishmas Malka bas Shalom.
Rabbi Weiss' shiur on Tehillim: for men and women on Wednesday nights at 7:30 PM, at Eiserman home, 154 N. 10th Ave., Highland Park. For more info, please call 347-203-7906.
- Hours: Sunday - Thursday hours are 8:00 PM – 10:30pm.
- Friday night by appointment only by leaving a message at 732-249-2411 or via the website or call/text 732-221-8155.
- Motzi Shabbat: 7:30pm - 10:00pm.
- NOTE: No out of hours fee is charged if appointments are made between nightfall and opening time
The Women's AMEN Group meets monthly on the Sundays following the Shabbos in which one bensches Rosh Chodesh, at 9:30 AM in a downstairs classroom at Congregation Ohr Torah. The group meets in the zechus of a refuah shelaimah for Menachem Mordechai ben Ophira and the other Cholim in the community.
Bikur Cholim OWLS (Overnight Women Labor Support): A complimentary service for maternity situations whereby volunteers will come to stay with your kids during the night. For more info on receiving this service or becoming a volunteer, please contact Rikki at 732-249-5116. Thank you.
Donations of diapers, pull-ups, and wipes are currently being accepted for the new HP/Edison Diaper Gemach. Please email email@example.com for more information.
Appeal from an OE Member Family: Update - Thank you to all who have contributed to raise funds for a community member to attend a rehab program. This person has completed the first and most expensive part of the program, and is, thank G-d, doing well. Even with the generous donations shared by community members, the family was forced to borrow thousands of dollars each month to pay $6,000 monthly for the program. They are struggling with significant accumulated debt, and our help is still needed. Please help this local family recover from extreme financial burden. They have generously supported our community in the past and never though they would need to ask for themselves. Please visit https://thechesedfund.com/cause/please-help-us-afford-rehab-to-save-our-son to donate by credit card or if you wish to make out a check instead of contributing online, please make it out to Congregation Ohav Emeth and in the memo write Rabbi’s Charity Fund. On a separate note (NOT IN MEMO), write that it is for the rehab campaign.
ERUV: The Highland Park Eruv has a webpage which includes a map and the most recent status of the eruv. You can even use the webpage to find out if someone’s house is inside the eruv. You can get automated notifications of the eruv’s status each Friday via Twitter, text, Facebook, or email. Go to http://hperuv.org/status for more information.
Gemachs Abound in Highland Park: A Gemach is sometimes thought of a free loan organization, but these organizations can lend way more than just money. For example, if you have a large simcha at your house and need tables, center pieces, and tablecloths, a gemach can help you out. Etz Ahaim has a complete listing of all local area gemachs.